Rally Against ‘Reclaim Australia’ on April 4!
Economic inequality is on the rise throughout the world. The global economic crisis has seen millions of people driven into poverty while at the same time a small group of super rich have profited handsomely at our expense. By next year, 1% of the world’s population will own more wealth than the other 99%!
The 1% only gets away with this because the bulk of the population is divided. Those profiting from the crisis often use racism as a tool to sow divisions amongst ordinary people. For them it is far better if the bulk of the 99% are arguing amongst themselves, rather than uniting to fight for a bigger share of the wealth.
In many places across the world far-right racist movements are attempting to blame ethnic minorities for unemployment, high living expenses and inadequate services. The truth is that the root cause of these problems is the capitalist system that puts profits before people’s needs. It’s the system that’s at the heart of inequality.
In Australia today racism expresses itself in many ways. The scapegoating of refugees, high incarceration rates of Aboriginal people, Islamophobia and police harassment of African youth are common in most cities. Both the major parties have been complicit in supporting policies that facilitate this discrimination.
In fact many policies that oppress certain groups are very profitable for big business. For example the private prison system and off-shore refugee detention centres are multi billion dollar industries.
Islamophobia has been used to justify wars for oil in the Middle East and the barbaric treatment of refugees. The cynical portrayal of Aboriginal people as welfare cheats has been used to justify racist policies like the Northern Territory Intervention.
All the major parties have to some extent pushed the idea that ‘overcrowding’, rather than their policies, are to blame for diminishing access to jobs, housing and services like healthcare and education. Their aim is to make migrants the target of people’s anger rather than big business profiteers and the governments who represent them.
As we move into more economic uncertainty we can be assured that big business and the major parties will continue to push divisive racist ideas in an attempt to maintain their rule. Responding with solidarity and unity is the best way to push back against big business rule.
How can we fight racism?
In the aftermath of the Sydney siege, thousands of people used solidarity hash tags like #illridewithyou in anticipation of a racist Islamophobic backlash. This type of solidarity is welcome but hash tags alone are not enough to challenge the root cause of racism. We need to get organised!
Racism only benefits those who make profits at the expense of the majority. Ordinary people are far more likely to win a bigger share of the wealth created if they are united. That is why campaigns for refugee rights, against the discrimination of Aboriginal people and against Islamophobia are so important.
There is more than enough wealth in society to make sure that everybody’s basic needs are catered for, with plenty left over! The money spent on war, mandatory detention and welfare quarantining alone would go a long way to improving and expanding public healthcare, education and housing for everyone.
The reason this money isn’t spent on jobs, homes and services for all is that ordinary people do not have control over how the wealth in society is used. The Socialist Party participates in anti-racist campaigns, but for us the most effective way to campaign against racism is to link these campaigns to the fight for a different type of society.
We need to fight for a world where ordinary working people collectively own and control society’s wealth, and can democratically decide how production and distribution are planned. This type of democratic socialist society would ensure equality for all, and could start to put an end to racism once and for all.
Join the rallies against ‘Reclaim Australia in your city!
Rally Against Racism
Saturday April 4 midday @ Federation Square
Facebook event: Rally Against Racism
Rally Against Racism & Bigotry
Saturday April 4 10:30am @ King George Square
Facebook event: Rally Against Racism & Bigotry
Saturday March 21 10am @ Newcastle Civic Park
Facebook event: Harmony Day
Reclaim Australia Counter Rally
Saturday April 4 10am @ Evandale Park
Facebook event: Reclaim Australia Counter Rally
Reclaim Adelaide from the Racists
Saturday April 4 10am
Facebook event: Reclaim Adelaide from the Racists
Anti-Racist Counter-Rally – Stop Islamophobia
Saturday April 4 10:30 am @ Martin Place
Facebook event: Anti-Racist Counter-Rally